StubHub, the world’s largest ticket marketplace, today released its third-annual preview of the summer concert landscape, breaking down the most in-demand touring acts of summer 2017. U2 unseats last year’s leader, Adele, by taking the #1 spot on the list, which heavily features legacy rock artists for the third year in a row. Top contemporary artists like Ed Sheeran also rank highly, and Kendrick Lamar broke the top 10 list for the first time, only three weeks after his tour was announced.
2017 Top Selling Acts
Based on total sales on StubHub for U.S. dates from Memorial Day to Labor Day
By the Numbers: Breaking Down the Top 10 List
- Legacy rock acts have dominated the list for the last three years, demonstrating an ongoing command of the touring landscape throughout the summer
- #1 U2 outsells #2 Ed Sheeran by 65%, even with fewer than half as many shows in the summer months (13 vs. 32), and exceeds last year’s #1, Adele, by 15%, even with eight fewer dates
- Looking at average sales per-show, U2 still dominates, outselling the second highest per-show performer (Lady Gaga) by 118%; eight of U2’s dates are the top in-demand of individual events all summer; the June 3 Chicago appearance is the most in-demand concert of the summer
- The only artist to return to the list from 2016 is Justin Bieber
- Tool is the most affordable top 10 act to see this summer based on the lowest average ticket prices overall
- Justin Bieber is a great deal this summer – his tour sold the least expensive ticket of acts in the top 10, and the price of tickets purchased on StubHub this year is down 40% over last summer
- When tickets for Kendrick Lamar’s DAMN. tour went on sale April 28, searches on StubHub quadrupled from the day before and he shot into the top 10 selling summer acts in one week – his position on the list is likely to keep climbing as the summer progresses
- Roger Waters may be the hardest working on the list this summer with the most tour dates (34) of anyone in the top 10 during the summer months; Ed Sheeran (26 years old) is second with 32 tour dates
Music festivals continue to be a way for an increasing number of fans to see a multitude of acts between independent headlining tours. Bottlerock, as a relatively newer festival, has been the fastest growing summer music festival over the past three years (demand has nearly tripled since 2015). Keeping in line with the trending demand of legacy rock acts, two out of three of the top music festivals this summer are devoted to classic rock acts.
The most in-demand U.S. summer music festivals based on ticket sales on StubHub to date are:
- CMA Music Festival (June 8-11 in Nashville, TN)
- BottleRock Napa (May 26-28 in Napa, CA)
- Lollapalooza (August 3-6 in Chicago, IL)
- The Classic East (July 29-30 in Flushing, NY)
- The Classic West (July 15-16 in Los Angeles, CA)
About StubHub At StubHub, our mission is simple: help fans find fun. We connect fans with their favorite teams, shows and artists and introduce them to the ones they’ll love next. As the largest ticket marketplace in the world, we enable fans to buy and sell tickets to tens of thousands of events, whenever they want, through our desktop and mobile experiences, including our StubHub app for iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch and Android. Offering a superior fan experience at its core, StubHub reinvented the ticket resale market in 2000 and continues to lead it through innovation. Our industry firsts include the introduction of the first ticketing application, the first interactive seat mapping tool and the first live entertainment rewards program, Fan Rewards™. Our business partners include more than 130 properties in MLB, NBA, NHL, MLS and NCAA, plus AEG, AXS and Spectra Ticketing & Fan Engagement. With the acquisition of Ticketbis in August 2016, throughout the world, StubHub provides the total end-to-end event going experience. StubHub is an eBay company (NASDAQ: EBAY). For more information on StubHub, visit StubHub.com or follow @StubHub on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram or YouTube.com/StubHub.