College students order 87 percent more late-night takeout food than other diners, a new study found.
Personal finance website GOBankingRates partnered with food delivery app Grubhub to determine which U.S. cities order the most late-night takeout and what kind of food was the most popular. Unsurprisingly, the majority of the cities on the list have a large population of college students.
For full study results and more details on methodology, visit: The Most Popular Late-Night Takeout Orders Around the Country.
Top 5 Cities With Late-Night Eaters
1. East Lansing, Mich.
- Percent more late-night orders than the rest of the country: 392 percent
- Most popular orders: mac and cheese, $6.73; tater tots, $3.39; loaded fries, $9.12
2. New Brunswick, N.J.
- Percent more late-night orders than the rest of the country: 280 percent
- Most popular orders: boneless buffalo wings, $10.62; chicken Caesar wrap, $6.54; falafel sandwich, $3.96
3. Columbus, Ohio
- Percent more late-night orders than the rest of the country: 202 percent
- Most popular orders: stromboli, $7.92; chicken alfredo, $9.97; waffle fries, $3.26
4. Allston, Mass.
- Percent more late night orders than the rest of the country: 195 percent
- Most popular orders: buffalo chicken pizza, $12.14; scallion pancakes, $6.14; cheese calzone, $8.90
5. Syracuse, N.Y.
- Percent more late night orders than the rest of the country: 191 percent
- Most popular orders: Stuffed cheesy bread, $6.99; pepperoni calzone, $7.25; boneless wings, $8.04
Additional Study Insights
- Every city on the top 20 list is located on the east coast.
- Sweet potato pie was ordered a whopping 889 percent more in Baltimore than anywhere else in the country. The city of Providence was a close second with its residents ordering tater tots 883 percent more often than the rest of the country.
- The most expensive item? Albany residents spend an average of $16.95 for chicken bacon ranch pizza. The least expensive item is pork egg rolls in Champaign, Ill., costing an average of $1.15.
GOBankingRates.com is a personal finance news and features website dedicated to helping visitors live a richer life. From tips on saving money, to investing for retirement or finding a good interest rate, GOBankingRates helps turn financial goals into milestones and money dreams into realities. Its content is regularly featured on top-tier media outlets, including MSN, MONEY, AOL Finance, CBS MoneyWatch, Business Insider and dozens of others. GOBankingRates specializes in connecting consumers with the financial institutions and products that best match their needs. Start your journey toward a rich mind and full wallet with us here.